What is an archive system?
Every business process generates information that needs to be digitized and archived for later analysis and evaluation. These can be very different documents. For some time now, most companies have been electronically archiving all kinds of documents related to the transaction of goods and services such as delivery bills or invoices. Similarly, the electronic archiving of various communication channels such as email or messengers is increasing in the professional context.
An electronic archiving system offers the possibility to electronically archive documents in a certain structure. Based on the structure in the form of folders, keyworded search terms and other features, it is possible to load and visualize the previously archived data in selected form at a later time.
Depending on the type of data, additional criteria must be taken into account with regard to archiving. For example, tax-relevant digitally archived data such as invoices must be stored for 10 years in accordance with the applicable retention period in Germany and must also be audit-proof. Revision security includes the following features that must be taken into account during archiving:
- correctness of archived documents
- Completeness of archived documents
- Security of the archive procedure
- Protection against modification and falsification of archived documents
- Backup before loss of the archive system
- Use of the archive only by authorized persons
- Compliance with the retention periods
- Documentation of the archive system
- Traceability of the archive system
- Testability of the archive system
Archiving systems are mainly based on standard software products. Depending on the amount of archived data, the type of archived data and the desired integration depth, different archiving systems are possible due to the partly different requirements. If a company grows over time, the requirements and thus the necessary functions of the archiving system also grow. It can therefore happen that the previous functions of the archive system are no longer sufficient over time due to increased requirements and a change must be considered.
Advantages and benefits of an archive system:
Good archiving solutions offer a wide range of possibilities and support many processes in the company. The main advantages to be mentioned in this context are
- Central data storage of archived documents and files in the electronic archive
- the reduction of search times in the electronic archive
- Saving of archive rooms with archived paper documents
- Simplified knowledge transfer through digitally archived documents
- Minimization of paper costs
Archiving systems are mainly based on standard software products. Depending on the size of the company and the type and number of documents available, different solutions with different functionalities can be considered. If a company grows over time, the requirements and thus the necessary functions of the archiving system also grow. It can therefore happen that the previous functions of the archiving system are no longer sufficient over time and a change must be considered in order to take into account the increasing level of information for the company.
Brixxbox: Data Archive-Template:
The provided templates serve as configuration examples. Different approaches shall be illustrated. The templates can be supplemented after the import as desired, or used as templates for own applications or entire systems.
In practice, the data archive template could be used for example by:
- Consulting company
- and small enterprises
to manage files and documents in an orderly and clearly defined structure.
Extract of the functions:
- Definition of main groups and subgroups
- Archiving of any documents and files
- Description of the files
- Search function in the archive system