The selection of an ERP system is an important investment decision, because companies commit themselves to an ERP system for an average of six to ten years. An ERP system should support all business processes of the company, be scalable and user-friendly. The task of the optimal ERP software is to help your company to optimize business processes and thus reduce costs. The ERP system sets the course for the future – the more important it is to know the ERP selection criteria and make a well thought-out decision.
ERP software – an important instrument of corporate management
An Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system is used to plan, control and manage business processes in the functions of a company. Operational resources such as capital, personnel, operating resources, material and information and communication technology are controlled and managed in the best possible way with ERP systems. ERP systems are used in a wide variety of business areas. Part of the requirement of an ERP system is that it should represent the company as a whole in an integrative manner, both in the cross-divisional basic functions and in the specialist departments or functional areas. Ideally, workflows are optimized, which reduces time, costs and effort.
Important in advance: Analysis of the actual situation and creation of a specification sheet
Before you start the selection process, you should carry out an analysis of the current situation and create a specification sheet.
In the pre-selection the following criteria are in the foreground:
- Technical requirements
- Functional requirements
- Price – performance ratio
The most important criteria for the selection of an ERP software
Support of your individual business processes
Your new ERP software should of course primarily meet the functional requirements. Together with the specialist departments of your company, record your processes and think about which of your processes should be mapped by the new ERP. In addition, it is often advisable to question the processes – for example by consulting an IT process consultant – and optimize them in advance. Because everyone knows: Over the years, processes often creep in that unnecessarily waste time and capacities of the employees. Isolated IT solutions such as Excel lists etc. should also be questioned.
The basic question for this selection criterion is
Is the ERP system suitable to completely map the individual (industry-specific) workflows of my company?
Compliance with all non-functional requirements
This criterion deals with the question of whether the ERP system can meet the non-functional requirements of your company. First and foremost the following features are important:
– Interface connection: ERP systems must be integrated into the existing IT infrastructure of your company. Therefore it is important to check how easily interfaces can be connected and how the transfer of data from the previous systems works.
– compliance requirements: Some industries have specific compliance rules that must also be considered when selecting the ERP. For example, the audit-proof archiving of tax-relevant data and documents applies in Germany.
– Technical up-to-dateness of the software: When selecting an ERP system, you should not neglect digitalization. As an entrepreneur, you should always be prepared for changes in regulations and industry standards. When choosing an ERP system, make sure that the software is constantly being developed and is always technically up-to-date.
– Increasing mobility: Many users are already accessing business data via mobile devices such as smartphones, tablets, etc. When selecting ERP, make sure that your future software works well and securely on all mobile devices.
Flexibility in every respect: scalability, sustainability, internationalization
In the course of digitalization, companies are developing faster. New business fields open up or the market changes. Your new ERP software should therefore be flexible and scalable in every respect.
– Scalability: Your new ERP system should be scalable, i.e. it should allow you to expand your business activities from the outset and be able to map them flexibly.
– Sustainability: Legislative changes and changes in the market will also be waiting for you in the future. Remain capable of acting with your new software and rely on a software that is flexibly adaptable.
– Internationalization: If you have or are planning to have branches or business activities abroad, two criteria are particularly important: automatic multilingualism and, in particular, multi-client capability so that country-specific requirements can also be implemented in a targeted manner.
Costs and follow-up costs of the ERP
A not insignificant selection criterion for choosing an ERP system is the cost. Please also consider the long-term costs. The most important aspects are:
… the operation of the solution / licenses
… Updates/ Upgrades
… Additional programming
Conclusion: Rely on an ERP system that fully meets your requirements, is future-proof and modern, and offers good value for money.
The ERP construction kit brixxbox meets all the above mentioned ERP selection criteria:
- Coverage of your individual business processes: The unique ERP construction kit is based on the principle of “configuration instead of programming” and is thus able to map all individual company processes – regardless of company size or industry – almost completely – without unnecessary ballast and with exactly the functions and fields you need.
- Interface connection: Interfaces of any kind (programs, machines, etc.) can be realized very easily with the brixxbox in contrast to many standard systems.
- compliance requirements: Thanks to its high flexibility, the brixxbox can map all requirements.
- Technical up-to-dateness: The brixxbox is a web-based application and therefore naturally always technically up to date.
- Mobility: As a web-based ERP system, the brixxbox can be used easily and flexibly by any mobile device.
- Scalability: With the brixxbox ERP construction kit, functions and fields can be easily added or removed by the user. You always remain flexible and capable of acting.
- Sustainability: Even changes in the law or market changes can be transferred to the brixxbox in minutes.
- Internationalization: The brixxbox is automatically multilingual and multi-client capable by default.
- High cost transparency: In addition to the implementation costs, only monthly license costs are incurred according to the number of users and possibly for training. Additional programming and updates/upgrades are naturally not necessary due to the unique modular principle.
The above mentioned ERP selection criteria are important factors for the sustainability of an ERP system.
Checklist for download: Selection criteria for an ERP system
In the free checklist you will find all important selection criteria for ERP systems clearly listed once again: